When you learn about HVAC maintenance, the main focus is usually about your central air system. Air ducts are also an important part of your home’s air circulation system. However, is duct cleaning worth it? Is duct cleaning a waste of money? The answer is that it depends on your specific situation.
In the Central Valley and Central Coast areas of California, such as Fresno, Bakersfield, or San Luis Obispo, the conditions make air duct cleaning a service that you should consider. Learn more about what makes air duct cleaning an important service.
Is Air Duct Cleaning Necessary?
You may not need your air ducts cleaned all the time, but contrary to emerging opinions about the service, there are situations when they do need to be cleaned.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), air duct cleaning should be considered when:
- You see visible mold growth in your system or in your ducts
- You have rodents or other pests traveling or nesting in your air ducts
- Your ducts are excessively clogged with dust or debris, which is released when your system’s fans turn on
Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
Duct cleaning is worth it when you have members of your household who have dust or pollen allergies or are more sensitive to air quality issues.
In Central California, the confluence of wildfire smoke, dust from drought conditions, and air pollution from farms and other industries makes air quality a greater issue for residents with these sensitivities than those in other regions of the state.
The main benefits of air duct cleaning are:
- Reduces particulate pollution that is unhealthy and makes it hard to breathe
- Removes undesirable odors and irritants
- Reduces allergen counts indoors
- Improves HVAC efficiency if the matter in the air ducts constricted airflow
- Can prolong the life of air filters (a common almost monthly chore to replace for Central Valley residents)
Is Duct Cleaning a Scam?
Not at all!
Duct cleaning, itself, is beneficial for your HVAC system if done properly by a licensed professional. Research on the effectiveness of air duct cleaning has been inconclusive. However, we have seen and heard positive feedback from our own duct cleaning clients in areas such as Merced, Visalia, Atascadero, and San Luis Obispo in Central California and the coast.
What you do need to watch out for is unlicensed solicitors advertising their own duct cleaning. Duct cleaning does have a chance to harm your air ducts if the work isn’t done by professionals who follow the necessary steps to protect your HVAC system.
How Often Should Air Ducts Be Cleaned?
If you have determined that your house requires an air duct cleaning, how often it needs to be cleaned depends on the source of the air quality issue.
Not addressing the source of the problem could mean air duct cleanings are necessary each year along with your regular HVAC maintenance.
A quality air duct cleaning by our licensed HVAC specialists can clean your system out well. However, if your ducts are to the point that they need cleaning, it likely means that the ducts will get that way again unless the source of the problem is addressed.
Addressing the problem’s source could mean much less frequent cleanings are required, or not even required at all! Contact our professionals so we can help you determine and fix the issue along with cleaning your air ducts.
Can I DIY Air Duct Cleaning?
You should never try to clean your air ducts by yourself due to these reasons:
- Proper air duct cleaning requires heavy equipment that you probably don’t own.
- There’s a significant risk of damage to non-metal parts of air ducts if you don’t have the proper expertise and experience.
- Cleaning air ducts by DIY may lead to the loss of any warranties you have on your home or house’s HVAC system.
- Duct cleaning can be a time-consuming process if done without the proper experience.
Who Do I Hire To Clean My Air Ducts?
You want a professional who has the experience, integrity, and know-how to do duct cleaning the right way. If you live in Fresno, Bakersfield, any other areas of the Central Valley, or the Central Coast of California, get a quote and estimate from our qualified team at Bland Company. Also, check out our online duct cleaning resource for more information.